Friday, August 29, 2008

Much Ado About Nollywood?

Up until the past few days, I have not been a big fan of nollywood, yes I said it. I did however enjoy some of the soap operas of the '90s and a few flicks here and there. Yet still somewhere in the fabrics of nollywood I found complacency, mediocrity and somewhat of a disregard for the viewers amongst over misgivings, and I disliked it. Slowly but surely I became a non-viewer, and then the occultic phase of nollywood started, the malapropisms increased and it was a done deal for me, I quit (something I don't do often...lol.)

Not long after I stopped watching nollywood movies, I left naija, and the disregard grew even larger, partly because I got to realize that non-Africans (Ghanaians in particular) loved them, especially the absurdity of its rituals. When I pried to find out what they truly loved about it, I found out they loved its wrongs (kind of like what you see when u watch West African Idol and see the naija Michael Jacksons...lol) - Yes, you are entertained but you know it was a bad performance. I gave them a second chance, and now I could predict the entire movie after only 5 - 10 mins. The performance had not really improved and so I went back into nollywood recession. I honestly did want to see improvement in the industry but it hurt to see mediocrity pass for Nigerian production. Of course in dialogs with friends about this subject we always talked about lack of infrastructure and financing issues, but these factors should not necessarily have affected the acting. I wondered if the actors and actresses had rehearsal sessions, or if there was any screening sessions or directors review.

Anyways, it appears 5 years is enough time for things to change in nollywood, as they say: "time changes yesterday." My point is that nollywood has gotten better, the infrastructure is still not where it needs to be yet, but I can say that directing and acting has improved. I say this after recently seeing only two productions - one soap opera (SuperStory :-)) and a movie (Caught in the Middle). SuperStory did have a good story, good acting. Caught in the Middle kinda blew me away for a naija movie because I did not expect much, but the story was great (especially in our society 2day), the casting was amazing (R.M.D and Dakore are so amazing), the soundstrack was good, the directing was good, even the ending credits was good. I was impressed...I am still impressed. I know it might seem like I abandoned nollywood and now I am coming back when things are getting better, but the truth is I criticized them when they were, in my opinion doing wrong (the same way a mother would scold an unruly child), and now they get credit for improvement. They are not there yet, but they are making progress.

That's my spill on nollywood for 2day.

ciao
......H2O

16 comments:

Buttercup said...

i totally feel u..sometimes i just wanna cringe when im watchin a nollywood movie with my non-nigerian friends..u r right tho, they absolutely love nollywood!

i love dakore, i think shes the best now(i think)..

Anonymous said...

yeah I feel u on this one majorly...

I like ur work...incisive and to the point...keep it comin bro!

H2O-works said...

Buttercup: I think Dakore is the best from d little I've seen.

Chari: Thanks bro...Im just tryna get 2 ur level on here..lol

Anonymous said...

I totaly agree with you about Nollywood. I'm still yet to see a good movie, I'll check out the movie you're talking about. I know Nigerians in America are doing great when it comes to movie production but they don't have the backing, support like people in nollywood have.

Is there a website I can get the movie?

Chris Ogunlowo said...

Welcome to blogville.

Hi

H2O-works said...

Thanks 4 the welcome Aloofar

Parakeet said...

You're on point with your observations of Nollywood. I have a sort of love hate relationship with the industry. I like to watch Nollywood movies but I always finish they think viewers are stupid. Thankfully its getting better.

Anonymous said...

HUH???

my level? I wish to be as good as this bro!

am likin the look around here...jus incase u need any other looks you can check here or here

bumight said...

u dont like nollywood? you should watch the Beyonce and Rihanna movie, it will totally blow you away! and u can watch it on youtube too. it was so good, i couldn't even finish watching it...

Buttercup said...

@ bumtight..that Rihanna n Beyonce movie is actually Ghanaian..most people make that mistake..i enjoyed it tho..gosh, Van Vicker is such a beautiful man!!!!

H2O-works said...

Bumtight...thnx 4 da info..Im just getting into nollywood sha

Buttercup...wat's up wit y'all n this van vicker guy sef...

Sam Oracle said...

Everyone who has seen Nigerian Movies has one time or the other criticized Nollywood either constructively or destructively. Nollywood was really really messed up. We can't deny it. We're happy for the improvement.

Buttercup said...

hmmm..just take a look at him..enough said!

Sisem E. Naidem said...

My first time here...Welcome to blogville though you ain't new anymore.
Hmm, so everyone's turning into a critic, eh? Who's gonna read my stuff then? Anyways, i'll be checking your stuff from now on so better sit tight, OK?
Too many question marks...?

Sisem E. Naidem said...

Sorry for the addition. By the way I've seen some very BADDDDDD reviews about the "Beyonce & Rihanna" movie so I'm wondering if Bumtight isn't being sarcastic...?

H2O-works said...

@naught eyes--- the welcome is always appreciated...don't worry Im gonna try my best to write blog posts that keep u interested :)

and don't worry I am not rushing to become a super nollywood fan, it's one step at a time...